1. But Los saw the Female & pitied He embrac'd her, she wept, she refus'd In perverse and cruel delight She fled from his arms, yet he followd
2. Eternity shudder'd when they saw, Man begetting his likeness, On his own divided image.
3. A time passed over, the Eternals Began to erect the tent; When Enitharmon sick, Felt a Worm within her womb.
4. Yet helpless it lay like a Worm In the trembling womb To be moulded into existence
5. All day the worm lay on her bosom All night within her womb The worm lay till it grew to a serpent With dolorous hissings & poisons Round Enitharmons loins folding,
6. Coild within Enitharmons womb The serpent grew casting its scales, With sharp pangs the hissings began To change to a grating cry, Many sorrows and dismal throes, Many forms of fish, bird & beast, Brought forth an Infant form Where was a worm before.
7. The Eternals their tent finished Alarm'd with these gloomy visions When Enitharmon groaning Produc'd a man Child to the light.
8. A shriek ran thro' Eternity: And a paralytic stroke; At the birth of the Human shadow.
9. Delving earth in his resistless way; Howling, the Child with fierce flames Issu'd from Enitharmon.
10. The Eternals, closed the tent They beat down the stakes the cords Stretch'd for a work of eternity; No more Los beheld Eternity.
11. In his hands he seiz'd the infant He bathed him in springs of sorrow He gave him to Enitharmon.