1. Urizen explor'd his dens Mountain, moor, & wilderness, With a globe of fire lighting his journey A fearful journey, annoy'd By cruel enormities: forms Of life on his forsaken mountains
2. And his world teemd vast enormities Frightning; faithless; fawning Portions of life; similitudes Of a foot, or a hand, or a head Or a heart, or an eye, they swam mischevous Dread terrors! delighting in blood
3. Most Urizen sicken'd to see His eternal creations appear Sons & daughters of sorrow on mountains Weeping! wailing! first Thiriel appear'd Astonish'd at his own existence Like a man from a cloud born, & Utha From the waters emerging, laments! Grodna rent the deep earth howling Amaz'd! his heavens immense cracks Like the ground parch'd with heat; then Fuzon Flam'd out! first begotten, last born. All his eternal sons in like manner His daughters from green herbs & cattle From monsters, & worms of the pit.
4. He in darkness clos'd, view'd all his race, And his soul sicken'd! he curs'd Both sons & daughters; for he saw That no flesh nor spirit could keep His iron laws one moment.
5. For he saw that life liv'd upon death The Ox in the slaughter house moans The Dog at the wintry door And he wept, & he called it Pity And his tears flowed down on the winds
6. Cold he wander'd on high, over their cities In weeping & pain & woe! And where-ever he wanderd in sorrows Upon the aged heavens A cold shadow follow'd behind him Like a spiders web, moist, cold, & dim Drawing out from his sorrowing soul The dungeon-like heaven dividing. Where ever the footsteps of Urizen Walk'd over the cities in sorrow.
7. Till a Web dark & cold, throughout all The tormented element stretch'd From the sorrows of Urizens soul And the Web is a Female in embrio None could break the Web, no wings of fire.
8. So twisted the cords, & so knotted The meshes: twisted like to the human brain