1. They named the child Orc, he grew Fed with milk of Enitharmon
2. Los awoke her; O sorrow & pain! A tight'ning girdle grew, Around his bosom. In sobbings He burst the girdle in twain, But still another girdle Opressd his bosom, In sobbings Again he burst it. Again Another girdle succeeds The girdle was form'd by day; By night was burst in twain.
3. These falling down on the rock Into an iron Chain In each other link by link lock'd
4. They took Orc to the top of a mountain. O how Enitharmon wept! They chain'd his young limbs to the rock With the Chain of Jealousy Beneath Urizens deathful shadow
5. The dead heard the voice of the child And began to awake from sleep All things. heard the voice of the child And began to awake to life.
6. And Urizen craving with hunger Stung with the odours of Nature Explor'd his dens around
7. He form'd a line & a plummet To divide the Abyss beneath. He form'd a dividing rule:
8. He formed scales to weigh; He formed massy weights; He formed a brazen quadrant; He formed golden compasses And began to explore the Abyss And he planted a garden of fruits
9. But Los encircled Enitharmon With fires of Prophecy From the sight of Urizen & Orc.